This list seeks to compile works of Stone-Campbell/Restoration Movement history which have a regional, state, or local (city/county) focus. If you have any additions to the list, please let me know.
- Alabama Restoration Journal: An Historical Perspective of Churches of Christ in Alabama. https://www.therestorationmovement.com/_journals/arj.html
- Chandler, Dana. “Churches of Christ in Alabama.” Encyclopedia of Alabama. http://encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-2988
- Kimbrough, Earl. The Restoration in Russell’s Valley and Northwest Alabama, 1842-1945. Monroe, GA: Book Production Resources, 2013.
- Phillips, Dabney. A History of the Church of Christ in Alabama. 1990.
- Plyler, Asa M. Historical Sketches of the Churches of Christ in Alabama. Henderson, TN: Hester Publications.
- Watson, George H. and Mildred B. Watson. History of the Christian Churches in the Alabama Area. St. Louis, MO: The Bethany Press, 1965.
- Young, John. “The Origins of the Churches of Christ in Bibb County, Alabama.” https://johnyounghistorian.com/2022/10/06/the-origins-of-the-churches-of-christ-in-bibb-county-alabama/
- Young, John. “The Tide Turns Towards Restoration: A Brief History of the Stone-Campbell Movement in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama.” Journal of Faith and the Academy 15 (2022): 34-41.
- Combs, Rob, et al, eds. The Church Through the Ages: 2018 Lawrence and Randolph Counties Bible Lectureship. 2018.
- Haynie, Paul D. “A Peculiar People: A History of the Churches of Christ in Washington and Madison Counties, Arkansas.” PhD dissertation, University of Arkansas, 1988.
- Haynie, Paul D. “Churches of Christ.” Encyclopedia of Arkansas. https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/entries/churches-of-christ-3176/
- History of the Birdell/Noland Churches of Christ. http://thecobbsix.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/History-of-the-Birdell-Noland-churches-of-Christ.pdf
- History of the Churches of Christ in Mississippi County, Arkansas.
- Morgan, Boyd E. Arkansas Angels. Paragould, AR: College Bookstore Press, 1967.
- Morgan, James Logan Jr. History of the Surrounded Hill Church of Christ (Jackson County, Arkansas), 1850-1978.
- Wilson, Michael L. Arkansas Christians:A History of the Restoration Movement in Randolph County, Arkansas, 1800-1995. Delight, AR: Gospel Light Publishing Co, 1997.
- Bowers, Calvin H. Realizing the California Dream: The Story of Black Churches of Christ in Los Angeles. Calvin H. Bowers, 2001.
- Ware, E.B. History of the Disciples of Christ in California. Healdsburg, CA: F.W. Cooke, 1916. https://books.google.com/books?id=DoEsAQAAMAAJ
- Ellis, Andrew Martin. A Century of Service, 1881-1981: Chronicles of Churches of Christ in Pensacola & Northwest Florida. Pensacola, FL: A.M. Ellis and Friends of Escambia Christian School, 1991.
- Townsend, J.C. A History of Churches of Christ in Florida with Other Related Stories, 1869-1949. Compiled by Geraldine McLeod Thompson. Florida Bible Camp, 2003.
- Lamar, James S. Recollections of Pioneer Days in Georgia. https://www.therestorationmovement.com/books/recollections,lamar.pdf
- Waskey, A.J.L. “Restoration Movement.” New Georgia Encyclopedia. https://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/arts-culture/restoration-movement/
- Haynes, Nathaniel S. History of the Disciples of Christ in Illinois, 1819-1914. Cincinnati, OH: Standard Publishing Company, 1915. https://archive.org/details/historyofdiscipl00hayn_0/page/n7/mode/2up
- McMillan, James L. and Thomas H. Olbricht. The History of the Restoration Movement in Illinois in the 19th Century. Los Angeles: Sulis Academic Press, 2020.
- Spinka, Matthew, ed. A History of Illinois Congregational and Christian Churches. Chicago, IL: Congregational and Christian Conference of Illinois, 1944. https://archive.org/details/historyofillinoi00spin/page/n3/mode/2up
- Evans, Madison. Biographical Sketches of the Pioneer Preachers of Indiana. Philadelphia: J. Challen & Sons, 1862. https://www.therestorationmovement.com/books/BioSketchesIndiana,Evans.pdf
- Shaw, Henry K. Hoosier Disciples: A Comprehensive History of the Christian Churches (Disciples of Christ) in Indiana. St. Louis: The Bethany Press, 1966.
- Fortune, Alonzo Willard. The Disciples in Kentucky. Convention of the Christian Churches, 1932.
- Stone, Barton W. History of the Christian Church in the West. Lexington, KY: College of the Bible, 1956. https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015049904207&view=1up&seq=7&skin=2021
- Turner, Marie. Logan County Churches of Christ. 1986. https://www.therestorationmovement.com/books/Logan%20County%20Kentucky%20Churches%20of%20Christ.pdf
- Dishongh, Eric M. From Campbell to Katrina: A History of the Churches of Christ in New Orleans. Florence, AL: Heritage Press, 2011.
- Helton, Stanley N. “Solomon Northup Among Baptists and Campbellites in Antebellum Louisiana.” Restoration Quarterly 57, no. 2 (2015): 77-94.
- Harmon, M.F. History of the Christian Churches (Disciples of Christ) in Mississippi. Aberdeen, MS, 1929. https://www.therestorationmovement.com/books/harmon.htm
- Helton, Stanley N. “Jacob Creath Jr.’s Mission to Mississippi (1826-1828).” Restoration Quarterly 59, no. 2 (2017): 89-104.
- Jackson, Don. The Churches of Christ in Mississippi. Winona, MS: J.C. Choate Publications, 1985.
- Robinson, Edward J. “Churches of Christ.” Mississippi Encyclopedia. https://mississippiencyclopedia.org/entries/churches-of-christ/
- Haley, T.P. Historical and Biographical Sketches of the Early Churches and Pioneer Preachers of the Christian Church in Missouri. St. Louis, MO: Christian Publishing Co., 1888. https://tbc.tn-biblecollege.edu/resthistlib/Haley-TP-Historical_and_Biographical_Sketches_of_Christian_Church_in_Missouri-1888.pdf
- Peters, George L. The Disciples of Christ in Missouri: Celebrating One Hundred Years of Co-operative Work. The Centennial Commission, 1937. https://tbc.tn-biblecollege.edu/resthistlib/Peters-G-Disciples_of_Christ_in_Missouri-1937.pdf
- Gardner, James. The Christians of New England. https://www.therestorationmovement.com/books/newengland.htm
- Looney, Jared. “Metropolis: A Stone-Campbell Mosaic.” Leaven 17, no. 3 (2009). https://digitalcommons.pepperdine.edu/leaven/vol17/iss3/7/
- Hayden, A.S. Early History of the Disciples in the Western Reserve, Ohio; with Biographical Sketches of the Principal Agents in their Religious Movement. Cincinnati, OH: Chase & Hall Publishers, 1875. http://sidneyrigdon.com/1875Hay1.htm#title
- Wilcox, Alanson. A History of the Disciples of Christ in Ohio. Cincinnati, OH: Standard Publishing Company, 1918. https://tbc.tn-biblecollege.edu/resthistlib/Wilcox-Alanson-A_History_of_the_Disciples_of_Christ_in_Ohio-1918.pdf
- Baird, W. David. Churches of Christ in Oklahoma: A History. Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press, 2020.
- England, Stephen J. Oklahoma Christians: A History of Christian Churches and of the Start of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Oklahoma. Bethany Press, 1975.
- Rushford, Jerry. Christians on the Oregon Trail: Churches of Christ and Christian Churches in Early Oregon, 1842-1882. 2nd ed. Joplin, MO: College Press Publishing Company, 1998.
- Swander, C.F. Making Disciples in Oregon. 1928. http://ncbible.org/nwh/Swander.pdf
- Grant, J.W. The Reformation in Tennessee. https://www.therestorationmovement.com/books/reformationoftn.htm.
- Hazelip, Harold. “Churches of Christ.” Tennessee Encyclopedia. https://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entries/churches-of-christ/
- Norton, Herman Albert. Tennessee Christians: A History of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Tennessee. Nashville, TN: Reed and Company, 1971.
- Waddey, John. Churches of Christ in East Tennessee. Winona, MS: J.C. Choate Publications, 1988.
- Woodson, William. Standing for their Faith; A History of Churches of Christ in Tennessee, 1900-1950. Henderson, TN: J&W Publications, 1979.
- Hall, Colby D. Texas Disciples: A Story of the rise and progress of that Protestant Movement known as Disciples of Christ or Christian Churches, as it developed in Texas; including, through the Nineteenth Century decades, a story of the kindred Movement, the “Churches of Christ.” Fort Worth, TX: Texas Christian University Press, 1953.
- McPherson, Chalmers. Disciples of Christ in Texas. Cincinnati, OH: Standard Publishing Company, 1920. https://archive.org/details/disciplesofchris00mcph/page/n5/mode/2up
- Owen, Chuck, ed. The Church of Christ in Laredo, Texas, 1937-2010: A Discussion of the History.
- Robinson, Edward J. The Fight is on in Texas: A History of African American Churches of Christ in the Lone Star State, 1865-2000. Abilene, TX: Abilene Christian University Press, 2008.
- Hodge, Frederick Arthur. The Plea and the Pioneers in Virginia: A History of the Rise and Early Progress of the disciples of Christ in Virginia, with Biographical Sketches of the Pioneer Preachers. Richmond, VA: Everett Waddey Company, 1905. https://archive.org/details/pleapioneersinvi00inhodg
2 thoughts on “Regional, State, and Local Restoration Movement History”